Friday, March 30, 2012

Lauren Grossman's Short Story - The Giraffe



The Giraffe
By: Lauren Grossman

I once asked if I could go to the park. My mom said I could go. So, she took me to the park. There was a girl there who held a pet giraffe. I really like giraffes because they are tall, different, and I don’t know, I guess I just love them. I went over to the girl and said hi. She sai hi, then walked away. I ran towards her again and asked her what her name was. She said she wasn’t allowed to talk to strangers. Then again, I came over and told her I liked her stuffed giraffe. She smiled a little, then went away, again! I asked her if I could have it, and she said no and she ran away to her mom, apparently telling on me. I decided to go to my mom (on the safe side). Her mom came over and talked to my mom. I had to apologize to the girl. All I wanted was that giraffe. Now my mom won’t let me go to the park again because she thinks I’ll talk to some stranger, wanting to steal their belongings. I asked my mom if I could get another stuffed giraffe. She said I have too many stuffed animals. Now I can’t go to the park and I’m giraffe-less; if that’s a word.
You see, the only reason I wanted to go to the park was because of my Daddy. He’s not alive because he died for a heart attack. [My mom said that he needed to take care of himself]. It was scary, I saw him have the heart attack with my own eyes. Still can’t get the image out of my head. Anyways, my Daddy would take me to the park and we would play on the sides and swings. My Daddy was very tall, and when I’d be on the top of the slide, my Daddy would say, “You’re as tall as a giraffe.” He’d always say that, every time when we would go the the park. So for some reason, I always liked giraffes since. And still do. My Daddy’s job was one of those traveling jobs, and every time he would come back, he’d give me a different giraffe, each time. And I’d put it in my big collection of giraffes in my room. It began to spread! So when I saw a girl with that giraffe, it was a giraffe I never had or seen, so I wanted it to add to my collection. Because now Daddy will never give me a giraffe. Mom doesn’t give me a giraffe. We don’t have that special relationship Daddy and I have...well had. So I have no park, no giraffe, and no Daddy.

Writer's Statement-I wrote this short story in December. I have a lot of unfinished writings, and I know I promised Part II of other story's, but this has been needing a better ending for awhile. So here it is! This took awhile to get to, because I wanted a better ending. At first, it was just the one paragraph, I strongly disliked it, but I took my creativity and knowledge, and all the kinds of writings I write about, and I put it in this short story. (I once wrote a monologue about a girl who's Dad died from cancer and she is talking to him in heaven) So, sorry if my writings are the same sometimes. But most of my pieces come out good! So, I have spring break, and summer soon to work on my writings. That is all! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment