Friday, March 23, 2012

Lauren Grossman's Fictional Story - In or Out




In or Out
By: Lauren Grossman

I met her voice before I met her eyes. I got a little chill running through my spine. It was soft, and very smooth. It sounded like a beautiful waterfall. I wanted to meet her, so as I walked through the doorway, I saw her. And my eyes were shocked, not knowing that this girl was blind, because she had a cane in a hand, squinting her eyes.

I never really knew anyone blind. Right away a thought came to my head, and that she’s blind, so why would I want to be with her? I was just in very deep thought as this mysterious girl I did not know bumping towards me.

“Sorry!” Said the girl. “Didn’t realize you were right there.”
“It’s..okay.” I said. “You didn’t see me.” That was so stupid of me. The girl kind of blushed.
“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it like that, I mean even if you could see, you still didn’t “see” me. I didn’t see you, like “see” you. I was just in deep thought.” I sounded like a complete idiot. I didn’t mean to be rude to this girl, I just didn’t want to ask her out anymore.
“It’s okay. I knew what you meant. Trust me, even if you did mean it, I get people making fun of me waaayyy worse.”
“That stinks.” My voice kind of got high-pitched. For some reason I still got that chill and feeling in my stomach hearing her voice. It was just so...beautiful. I cleared my voice, trying to not look like a fool I already was becoming at this moment.
“Yeah, oh well. I been blind since I was born, and it’s difficult, but I just got to get use to it, ya know? My parents worked so hard for me to get an education and such. Yeah, I get made fun of, but I ignore them and all. Being blind has its disadvantages. If I could get my sight back, I would. But I’m different. And I’m 15, and half my life I been treated not very good. That’s 7 and a half. I can go on more.”
“Yeah, ‘cause 7 and a half is a lot of years.” I had nothing else better to say.
“What’s your name?” the girl asked.
“J-Jacob,” I responded. My face felt like it was beaming up.
“I’m Gabriella.”
“Nice to meet you”
“You too. Your voice sounds adorable. I’m sure you’re cute too.”
My cheeks became even redder, if that was possible. But I needed to get some air out of the school, or I was going to faint, or something.
“Ha, uh, thanks. You’re really pretty you know. I’m not just saying that.”
“Thanks. Usually people say seeing me with weird eyes and a stick is what catches their attention.”
“Actually,” I said. “Your voice did. It kind of gave me a call, ya know?
“My voice, really? Well, that’s a first. You’re so sweet, Jacob.”


The bell rung and Gabriella and I just stood on the checkered floor, facing each other. It was just awkward silence.


“Um, Gabriella,” I said. “Want to go outside, have a little walk?” My voice sounded weak, but that was because I was only nervous. Gabriella seemed so nice, and I judged her because of the outside of her.
“Sure, I’d like that.” She replied.
“Need help walking?” I asked.

“No, that’s okay. I know how to walk. This cane saves my life, thanks though.”

Gabriella walked a bit slow, and I was walking the same pace as her. But it was okay. It was fun talking to her. Her voice just kept giving me a feeling, a feeling I liked, enjoyed. I was glad meeting Gabriella, and I learned a lot, not to judge people on the outside. It’s horrible that for 15 years what her and her family had to go through.

We decided to go to the hangout that is across the street. I helped her walk across the street, but then something happened.

It was a red light, so it was our turn to walk. But some driver was speeding, and ran through the red light. I saw it, and I tried grabbing Gabriella, and I shouted, “Gabriella, move!” I tried getting her, but she couldn’t see, she thought I was just playing around. Gabriella got hit by the speed driver. I got hit too, but not as bad. I moved, and crawled towards Gabriella, wincing a little in pain.

“Gabriella! Gabriella!” I tried getting her up. But she was out of it. “Someone call 911!”
A lot of cars had stopped, and I was holding Gabriella, trying to not think she was dead. Some woman wearing a flowery dress took out her phone and called the ambulance. The police was here in a flash.

They gently picked Gabriella up. I was still on the street on my knees, kind of sore. I was close to crying, and one of the guys from the ambulance came over to me and helped me up. He helped me walk to the ambulance, and we were on the way to the hospital, with unconscious Gabriella and sore and scared me. I thought the inside mattered, and it does, but now the outside does because Gabriella is probably sore and possibly dead, and I’m all bruised. I was shaky, nervous, scared, and sore as unconscious Gabriella and I were as we were on the way to the ambulance.


Writer's Statement: I am kind of liking this piece I wrote! At first, I made it so happy, and end not very good, but I put a twist and suspense into it. I will not write the next part until next time. I think that the twist made it better, and made my writing stronger! Next writings coming up: Part 2 of Blue, Blue, Everywhere and Part 2 of In or Out (this story) (: Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment