Friday, March 16, 2012

Lauren Grossman's Fairy Tale - Prescott and the Key

  Prescott and the Key 
By: Lauren Grossman

There was a 16 year old teenager, named Princess. She would always date these guys who were just not...good. Some had piercings and tattoos. Some just wanted her for sex. Some boys Princess really liked but then got cheated on. Princess just didn’t seem to have the best experience with guys. Her father and mother, Mr. Kenneth King, and Mrs. Jean King, wanted her to not be hurt anymore, to find a real guy. It was a family tradition to get married at the age of 16. That’s how long Mr. and Mrs. Kind knew each other, since they were 16.
    The problem was that it was very hard to find ‘good guys.’ There was one though, who caught Princess’s eyes just like that. It all began at the knock at the door. Mrs. King  answered the door.
    “Hello. I was wondering if you’d like to make a donation to the Homeless Center?, asked the young gentlemen. He was wearing an old blue shirt, with ripped up jeans.
    “No thanks, we have other things to pay for, like a roof over a house,” said Mrs. King
    “It’s for a very good cause.”
    Princess was looking at the boy, behind her mom. There was something about him Princess was curious about.
    “Do you think I was born yesterday?” asked Mrs. King. “I know all these people come looking homeless so they can just get their own money. I am sure you ripped up those jeans and put some dirt on those clothes. Good-bye,” Mrs. King said, closing the door.
    Mrs. King walked away. Princess got up real quick and opened the door.
    “Wait, excuse me, wait!” she shouted.
    The boy turned around, and saw this blonde girl, with bright blue eyes, and a smile that make him smile.
    “Come back please?”
    The boy shyly came over.
    “Are you okay?” Princess asked.
    “Yes.”
    “Here.” Princess went into her dress pocket and pulled out some money. “Here, have some money.” She dropped it into the donation box and gave a smile.
    “Thank you very much.”
    “Can I ask you something?”
    “Sure, but its got to be quick, I need more donations.”
    “Are you...homeless?”
    “Yes. Not just coming her to scan people for money.”
    “Oh, I know that! Don’t mind my mother, she’s a bit rude.”
    “What’s your name?”
    “My name is Prescott.”
    “Prescott. That’s a cool name. I like that name. I’m Princess.”

    “Thanks, that’s a pretty name. You kinda look like a princess.’
    Princess blushed.
    “Where are you staying at?”
    “A few blocks down. I hate it there, all the people are rude and whatnot. I wish I could have a home.”
    “I am very sorry. I know it isn’t the same, but I hate it here too. My mom keeps me trapped in the house so I don’t go out meeting boys. My mom is to strict.”
    “I rather have a strict mom and be in a home.”
    “Yeah, I know, sorry. I am sure it’s awful what you’re going through.”
    “It is, plus, I don’t talk to a lot of people. I’m very shy.”
    “You don’t seem shy to me.” That made Prescott smile. “I should be going. It was nice meeting you Princess.”
    “It was nice meeting you too, Prescott. Can I maybe see you again?”
    “I would like that.” Prescott started walking off, but then Princess watched him. She couldn’t take seeing him homeless.
    “Wait, Prescott!”
    “Yes, Princess?”
    “Would you live in a house if you had one?”
    “If is a strong word. ‘Cause I know it’s not going to happen.”

    “But what if you could get a home?”
    “I’d be happy, which I’m usually not. I kind of found out what happy is now.” They both smiled and Prescott walked off.
    Princess closed the door, when Mrs. King came in.
    “Who were you just talking to?” asked Mrs. King, very strictly.
    “No one Mother. I have a question. We have an extra room upstairs, right?”
    “Yes.”
    “So Mother, can we give it to a friend of mine? Please?”
    “No! Not at all!”
    “But Mother! He-
    “He, not at all! You already had too many boyfriends.”
    “But this one is nice!”
    “You said that last time.”
    “Mother, I am not asking you because I want to sleep with him or anything. He is homeless. He needs a home. He doesn’t know what being happy really feels like.”
    “Homeless, is this the young gentlemen who knocked on our door?”
    “Yes-”
    “No filthy man is coming in our house.”
    “Mother, why? Why are you so protective of me? I’m 16! He’s so nice Mother! Why didn’t you give him money, when we are wealthy, very wealthy? Look at this house, it’s all wealthy! He needs someone!”
    “He was really homeless?”
    “Yes Mother.”

    “But he has a home.”
    “Yeah, I am sure a home that smells and wreaks, a home that he can’t really talk to, a home with cold water when he needs warm, and warm water when he needs cold. Mother, would you like living like that?”
    “No Princess.”
    “Mother, I’ll be fine. Just for a little please? You never want me happy! Never! I am just locked up here doing nothing. I have no friends!”
    “I do try making you happy!”
    “No you don’t Mother! If you did, you would let me out of this house and face reality. Reality here feels all clogged up.”
    “Alright, he can stay.”
    Princess jumped in the air and was very excited.
    “On one condition,” said Mrs. King. That made Princess stop jumping and look confused.
    “What condition? Why does there have to be a condition?” Princess asked.
    “You seem to like this boy, and I am letting him into my home. He will sleep in the guess room with over 5 mattresses. I will be putting a key under there. If he knows the key is under there, then I accept.”
    “Mother!” Princess cried. “That is impossible! Please! Why even a key?”
    “Because you seem to like this boy, and if he can win your heart, he will notice the key and lock up your heart. It’s either that or not stay at all.”
    “Okay, Mother. We will do the test.”
    “Okay, you have permission tomorrow morning to go to the Homeless Center to invite him. But keep it quiet, we don’t want a bunch of kids coming in our home. And don’t tell him about the key, got it?”
    “Yes, Mother. Thank you, Mother.”
    Mrs. King walked out of the living room and Princess plopped down kind of excited, but then kind of nervous.
    It was the next morning. Princess was very excited to see Prescott again. She got ready in her pink outfit with jeans and she then went and walked into the Homeless Center. She went to the front to find Prescott.
    “Excuse me, is there a Prescott here?” Princess asked.
    “Yes, honey, he is right over there,” The front lady said, pointing to where Prescott was located.
    “Thank you, Ma’am.” Princess walked over to a table where Prescott was by himself.
    “Prescott!” Princess shouted.
    Prescott turned around, little surprised to hear his name, and then he saw Princess.
    “Princess?” He asked, curiously. “What are you doing here?”
    “I came to ask you a question. I was wondering if you wanted to move in to my house?”
    “Your house?” He was very surprised.
    “Yes.”
    “Why would you ask me.”
    “Because Prescott, you’re my friend. You seem sad, alone, and I don’t want to see you like that. Please, can you move into my house?”

    “That’s very generous of you...but I don’t know. I don’t know you that well. I’m kind of scared of your mother.
    “But we will get to know each other and become good friends! Don’t mind my mother, she said it was okay, on one condition.”
    “What condition?”
    “I’ll show you when I get there, please?”
    “Okay, but your mom has to talk to-”
    “My mom already called this morning and you’re able to come with me, if it was up to you.”
    Prescott gave a little smile.
“Okay, I think I will come.”
    “Great!” Princess was excited and she took his hand so he could follow her direction.”   
    “Wait,” Prescott said. I forgot my stuff.” Prescott went back to the table he was at and gathered his stuff.
    “We’ll get you clothes and food, stuff like that.”
    “Okay, but my magic stuff.”
    “You do magic?”
    “Yeah..”
    “That’s...awesome!” Princess and Prescott left the Homeless Center with a smile on their faces.
    Prescott was having a great time at the King’s house. Princess and him played games on phone, they played games on the computer, talked, and Princess learned things about Prescott. Prescott even showed her a few magic tricks, which Princess was impressed by.
    Princess was in the guess room, helping Prescott get ready for bed. As they were getting ready, they were having a conversation.
    “You went to Disney World? That’s so cool! I always wanted to go there!” Prescott said.
    “Yeah, it’s really fun. You never went there? It’s a kid’s dreams! We’ll have to go sometime!” Princess said, smiling.   
    “But what if I don’t pass the test?”
    “Relax, I think my mom is crazy, but not that crazy, you’ll pass is.”
    Prescott smiled, “Thanks.”
    Mr. King and Mrs. King came with 2 more mattresses and a blanket.
    “Alright, we will pile these on top of each other, and Prescott, dear, you will sleep on these. Here is a blanket as well,” said Mrs. King.
    “Thank you, Ma’am,” Prescott said, with a little fear. “May I have a drink of water, please?”
    “I’ll get it for you, son,” Mr. King said, politely and they both left the room.
    Mrs. King took the key out of her pocket, placing it under the mattresses, so it was under the last one that was placed on the bottom.
    Prescott came back.
    “Alright Princess and Prescott, time for bed.”
    Princess said good night to Prescott, went to her own room, and they both went to bed.
    It was the next morning, and Prescott came running down the banister.
    “There is something under my mattresses!”
    “What?” asked Princess, following him, rubbing her eyes from waking up.
    “There is a key under my mattress, I knew there was something odd with it! But I knew it was a key. I’ve done magic tricks, a bunch, and it’s a key!”
    “Oh, Prescott! You passed the test!” Princess said, very happy. They both hugged.
    Prescott got to stay with the King’s family. After awhile, Prescott started dating Princess. Mrs. King let them stay together because he won the key to her heart. They very much liked each other, and if it wasn’t for Princess, Prescott’s life wouldn’t of been better as it is. Mr. and Mrs. King didn’t like a lot of boys Princess dated, but they liked this one and accepted them to get married. And they all lived happily, ever after.

The End


 Writer's Statement- I wrote this fairy tale based on the fairy tale, The Princess and the Pea. I changed it up and it came out very different, and a good story. I am impressed with what I have came up with, and excited for all you readers to...well read! I put a lot of creativity into this, and my writing is getting stronger. Writing a fairy-tale is tricky, but it works out! Also, I got this idea by going through old books, and found this. Memories! So this story was born, and it came out great! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment