Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sneak Peek of: Meaningless Chapters


Sneak Peek of : Meaningless Chapters
By: Lauren Grossman

Introduction/Prologue:

Bam. The alarm clock strikes and I'm rolling back and forth on my bed, not wanting to wake up. I just wanted to glue my eyelids shut. The alarm clock is going off and off, reminding me it's time for me to get out of bed for school. I take a deep breath, and slowly get out of my bed, wincing from the pain in my shoulder.

"How're you this morning?" asks my mom. This is the same typical response my mom asks on a morning, when I walk into the kitchen in my solid colored T-shirt with a solid grey hoodie. My hair is always tied in a side pony-tail. I'd wear the Nike sneakers that I've been wearing for two years. Everything was the same of how I looked, dressed, and the environment around me. My mom gives me that lovely smile, being very awake in the morning, making pancakes and scrambled eggs. I sit down onto the kitchen counter and steal an apple. My mom puts four plates on the table, one for me, my big sister, and my dad. My mom always serves herself last and serves two pancakes on a plate and a couple spoonfuls of scrambled eggs. My dad comes with a briefcase, showing me his morning smile, with sleep in his eyes. He's usually tired from working at the office late. He sits down, straightening his tie, and begins to eat his breakfast.

"Eat your breakfast, sweetheart," says my mom. It's like everyday she has to remind me to do so. I sit at the table next to my dad, placing the apple next to my plate, and pick up my fork. I take a couple bites of my pancakes, and swirl my fork through my eggs. I put some in my mouth, and while I'm swallowing, I'm thinking how I'm tired of everything. I'm tired of looking the same, I'm tired of dressing the same, I'm tired of tasting the same thing, I'm tired of everything, and I think why can't something different happen in my life? The reason for that is because I have no luck and I just continue to believe that everyday as I go through the same routine.

"I'm not that hungry," I say, as always. "I probably should be heading out." With a worried look on my mom's face, she knods, not wanting to start the day with a fight, and gives me a kiss on the cheek. My dad gives me a hug. "Have a good day," I say, while my mom stays at home, cleaning the house, gardening the flowers, or making something in the kitchen that smells bland. My dad is off to work at the bank, with his smart brain of his counting numbers. This is my life and this is what I go through everyday.

I head into the living room to grab my backpack, and head into the kitchen to go out the door. There's a maroon stain on my backpack, and I hide it so my parents don't see it. My backpack is heavy with all the books I have and it irritates a small bruise on my shoulder. I try not to show I'm wincing of pain, and I go out the door, walking to the bus stop. Here's to another day of school, getting hurt, emotionally and physically, getting C's on tests, talking to only three people and having a great relationship with a teacher who actually know I exist in school. Here's to another day, another boring chapter of my life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment